Explanation of John 20:28

 


Scripture Answer 4: John 20:28

Thomas called Yahshua Elohim and Yahshua never rebuked him. John 20:28

 King James Bible

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

 What did Thomas mean when he said to Yahshua, “My Lord and my God”?

On the occasion of Yahshua’s appearance to Thomas and the other apostles, which had removed Thomas’ doubts of Yahshua’ resurrection, the now-convinced Thomas exclaimed to Yahshua: “My Lord and my God! [literally, “The Lord of me and the God (ho The·osʹ) of me!”].” (John 20:24-29)

 Some scholars have viewed this expression as an exclamation of astonishment spoken to Yahshua but actually directed to Elohim Yahweh, his Father. However, others claim the original Greek requires that the words be viewed as being directed to Yahshua.

 Even if this is so, the expression “My Lord and my God” would still have to harmonize with the rest of the inspired Scriptures. Since the record shows that Yahshua had previously sent his disciples the message, “I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God,” there is no reason for believing that Thomas thought Yahshua was the Almighty Elohim (God). (John 20:17) John himself, after recounting Thomas’ encounter with the resurrected Yahshua, says of this and similar accounts: “But these have been written down that you may believe that Yahshua is the Christ the Son of God, and that, because of believing, you may have life by means of his name.”John 20:30, 31.

 The word "Lord" ( κύριος) is precisely the Greek translation for the Hebrew "Adonai." John used the title God here or accurately in Hebrew it is “Elohim”.

John 20:28 says (KJV)...

English

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.


Greek... 

πεκρίθη Θωμς κα επεν ατ  κύριός μου κα  θεός μου.

According to Meyer's NT Commentary...

 κύριός μου κ.  θεός μου] is taken by Theodore of Mopsuestia (“quasi pro miraculo facto Deum collaudat,” ed. Fritzsche, p. 41) as an exclamation of astonishment directed to God.

 Accurate Literal Translation using exact Hebrew words for the Titles:

 Halleluyah Scriptures: And T’oma answered and said to Him, “Adonai and my Elohim”.

 There is no objection to referring to Yahshua (Jesus) as “God,” if this is what Thomas had in mind. Such would be in harmony with Jesus’ own quotation from the Psalms in which powerful men, judges, were addressed as “gods.” (John 10:34, 35RS; Ps. 82:1-6)

  Isaiah 9:6 (RS) also prophetically describes a future title that Yahshua (Jesus) would be called as “Mighty God,” but not as the Almighty God.

 The context helps us to draw the right conclusion from this. Shortly before Yahshua’s death, Thomas had heard Yahshua pray in which he addressed his Father as “the only true God.” (John 17:3RS) After Yahshua’s resurrection, Yahshua had sent a message to his apostles, including Thomas, in which he had said: “I am ascending. . . to my God and your God.” (John 20:17RS) After recording what Thomas said when he actually saw and touched the resurrected Messiah, the apostle John stated: “These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name.” (John 20:31RS) So, if anyone has concluded from Thomas’ exclamation that Yahshua is himself “the only true God” or that Yahshua is a Trinitarian “God the Son,” he needs to look again at what Yahshua himself said (vs. 17) and at the conclusion that is clearly stated by the apostle John (vs. 31). 

SOME PERSONAL EXCLAMATIONS MADE IN MY PERSONAL LIFE EXPERIENCE:

 Ø  The very first time in my life when I saw a Female fully naked, I exclaimed in a loud voice, OH MY GOD. The Girl just like Yahshua did not rebuke me or correct me. She did not MISTAKE it to understand that I was calling her God when she is nude!!! I also did not understand her to be God!!!! IT WAS JUST AN EXCLAMATION REMARK IN AN EXCEPTIONAL SITUATION.

 Ø  Recently I saw a disastrous natural landslide on a recorded video. Unknowingly and without being aware, I exclaimed to myself, “OH MY GOD, WHAT IS THIS HAPPENING? Now did I mean to say that the Landslide was God? NO. 

Ø  Exclaiming, OH MY GOD is also not taking God’s name in vain. As God or Elohim are Titles and not the personal name of Elohim which is Yahweh. 

Ø  Many times in India, when driving on the Highways, I have seen many people of different religions and faiths, exclaiming out of fear and astonishment, on seeing a major accident happen right in front of them. OH MY GOD. Does this mean, 2000 years later when the incident is written or translated in other foreign languages, should the reader consider that the person who met in the accident was God?